Thursday, October 18, 2012

Keeping me on my toes!

Xander came running into my room about an hour ago, "MOM!  Elli's eating my medicine!"

My heart dropped.  I ran into the living room to find Xander's pill bottle (a very strong antibiotic for his leg infection) on the floor with several pills spilled out.  NINETEEN of them were in Elli's mouth.  They were gel caps, and only one of them had been bitten hard enough that all the powder was out-- the rest were just soggy, but full of powder.

Of course, I called poison control.  We're practically on a first name basis over there.  (;  The last time I called them it was to see if chewing and swallowing large amounts of the powdery material in pull-ups was toxic.  In case you ever need to know that, it's not.  (;  It does, however, create lots of fun bowel issues, which I won't get into here...

Anyway... after discussing things with the sweet lady at poison control and doing meticulous pill counts,  I am fairly certain that Elli is going to be ok.  I've also talked to the pharmacy, who has to contact X's doctor at the hospital to get him to send in a new prescription.  Awesome.  We learned a good lesson about keeping "childproof" pill bottles up high.  For as many times as we've called poison control, I don't believe it's ever been for medicine...  Chewing batteries until they are flat, eating tubes of desitin-- that's more her style. 

Sweet, sweet Elli, please don't scare me like that again.  I'm not up to another trip to the ER so soon.  (:


  1. Oh Christi - don't beat yourself! Our Ben (oldest) went thru a stage of eating things too! In fact - on the last occurrance I called poison control over Christmas lights - he was pulling them off the string and eating them. Called poison control and gave them our phone number for call back, and the guy started off the conversation with "Hey Dave, what has Ben eaten this time?" ;) The good news is they were the mini-lights and he hadn't cut his mouth cruching them down - that call ended with "Ah well, this too shall pass!" I think they give poison control folks humor lessons!

    Glad she's OK - and child proof lids are not - another for the Murphy's list!

    hugs - love you guys - aus and co.

    1. Totally relate! Elli has eaten glass ornaments several times. We too, were lucky that she didn't get more hurt (she did have a few little cuts in her mouth.) Ahhhh... these kids!

  2. My "favorite" call was when my son ate MANURE by the handful. It was old manure, so I was told by poison control that it is GROSS but not DANGEROUS :) Yuck!

    Glad Elli is okay!!

    1. Oh no!!! I can actually relate because Elli has gone through phases of eating what's in her diaper. Yum.


Thank you for your comment! It will be reviewed and posted shortly.