Wednesday, November 14, 2012


I awoke this morning at 4:45 a.m. to the sounds of Sophi screaming that she needed to go potty.  I was delirious with sleepiness.  After taking her and settling her back down, I heard Lexi getting out of her bed and making her way to the bathroom as well.   I waited to make sure I could hear her get back in her bed before trying to go back to sleep.  By this time it was 5:05 and I began to worry whether Parker and Taylor would get up to their 5:10 a.m. alarm for 5:30 basketball practice.  So I got up once again, found them up, and tried desperately to go back to sleep.   I heard them quietly sneak out the door (they had a ride this morning-- thank goodness) and everything became quiet once again.  Too quiet.  I couldn't for the life of me fall back asleep even though I had gone to bed way too late.  I laid there telling myself that I should get up and be productive, but my lazy side told me that I would only wake up the kids if I tried to get up.  I had a million things on my mind and tried so hard to shove them out so I could get some desperately needed shut-eye.  Finally at about 6:30 I dozed back to sleep, only to be awoken 15 minutes later by Sophi's alarming declaration as she came running into my room:

"Mommy!  Mommy!  It's an 'mergency!  Call 911!"

"What's wrong, Soph?"

"Taylor is going to TATTLE!"

Ha.   This is something I can't seem to get through her cute little head-- that announcing a tattle IS a tattle.   (:  I must say, she did put a smile on my face, which is always a good way to start one of our mornings.   As I hurried around trying to get 8 kids out the door, I was struck by the tender mercy of how well our mornings are timed.  Taylor, Graci, and Parker are picked up for junior high at 7:25.  Then I have 20 more minutes to work on getting Jesi, Lexi, and Xander out the door.  They are also picked up.  As soon as they leave, I run down the stairs to get Elli out of her room and into the tub.  As she is bathing, I start on Sophi.  I have about 40 minutes to get Elli fed and ready and give her lots of one-on-one time before the bus picks her up around 8:30.  Then I have 15 minutes to fix Sophi's hair and get her backpack ready and give her cuddles before the bus picks her up at 8:45 (Mondays and Fridays for her two hour preschool).   On Tuesdays and Thursdays I get 10 extra minutes before taking her to her 9:00 a.m. neighborhood preschool.  On Fridays, she's mine for the day.  (:

After-school schedules are just as perfect.  Sophi's home with me all afternoon.  We leave to pick up the kids at 3:00. The junior high kids get out at 2:45 and walk up toward the elementary pick up place.  Because we have a 12 passenger van, there are exactly enough seats to pick up all of my kiddos (minus Elli who goes to a different school) as well as the kids whose moms pick up in the morning (they each have 2 kids).  I get home by 3:30 and have 40 minutes to go over backpacks and have some time with the kids before Elli gets dropped off at 4:10 (things get a bit more chaotic once Elli is here).

I am not sure how getting 8 kids off and back home could work more smoothly, time-wise.  I'm so grateful that schedules don't conflict and we are able to time things just so.  It's also perfect for the other two families in our carpool-- each of us only have to drive one way.   Jeremy is usually able to be home in the morning and is making lunches and signing reading logs and walking kids out the door, which is also a huge blessing.  That doesn't mean our mornings aren't super crazy sometimes (or always)... but they work!

It really is a tremendous blessing.  I am so grateful!!!

I'm not even going to THINK about how things will change when Cali gets here...  (:


1 comment:

Thank you for your comment! It will be reviewed and posted shortly.